Get Your Marriage Registration Done Without Any Hassle
- Full major requirements/documents for marriage registration
- Criteria for Marriage Registration under Special Marriage Act, 1954
- Criteria for Marriage Registration under Hindu Marriage Act, 1955
- Benefits of getting marriage registered
- Prohibited relationships
After the marriage is solemnized there are certain requirements that must be fulfilled in order to give it a legal standing or to make it valid under Indian laws. The major requirement is marriage registration under either the Special Marriage Act, 1954 or Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.
What Is A Marriage Certificate?
A marriage certificate basically is an official statement/legal proof that two people are married. Only government officials have authority to issue marriage certificates after marriage registration.
Procedure Of Marriage Registration Under The Hindu Marriage Act
Marriage under The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 can be valid only if both the parties are Hindus, Buddhists, Jains or Sikhs or, where they have converted into any of these religions and fulfill the conditions provided under Section 5 and Section 7 of The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955. If one of the parties is a Christian or Muslim, the marriage will not be considered as valid Hindu marriage. It was held in the case of “M. Vijayakumari vs. K. Devabalan” that:
“A marriage between a Hindu man who converted as Christian and a Christian lady in a Hindu form is not a valid marriage. According to section 5 of the Act marriage can be solemnized between two Hindus only.”
Conditions For Legally Valid Hindu Marriage
- No living spouse at the time of the marriage;
- Capable of giving a valid consent/no unsoundness of mind;
- Not suffering from mental disorder of such a kind or to such an extent as to be unfit for marriage and the procreation of children;
- Not effected to recurrent attacks of insanity or epilepsy.
- The bridegroom who has completed the age of 21 years and the bride the age of 18 years at the time of marriage,
- The parties not to be within the degrees of prohibited relationship
- The parties are not sapping of each other, unless the custom governing each of them permits of a marriage between the two.
Two persons are said to be covered under the degrees of prohibited relationship if.
- One of the party is the lineal ascendant of the other;
- If one of the party was the wife or husband of lineal ascendant or descendant of the other;
- If one of the party was wife of the brother or of the father’s or mother’s brother or of the grandfather’s or grandmother’s brother of the other,
- If the two are in relation as brother and sister, uncle and niece, aunt and nephew, or children of brother and sister or of two brothers or of two sisters.
Punishment: A marriage solemnized between the parties within the degrees of prohibited relationship is considered null and void and the parties are liable to be punished with simple imprisonment for a period of one month or fine of Rs. 10000/- or with both.
What Are The Service Advocate Amit Malik Offers For Marriage Registration?
Our comprehensive range of end-to-end solutions includes following:
- End to end services for Marriage registration.
- We have expertise in preparing to file application for marriage registration and getting your documents verified.
- Free consultation for any enquiry that you may have about Marriage Registration
- An online application will be made by us and duly submitted.
- We shall inform you of the date and time when your physical appearance will be required at the Registrar’s office.
- You will get your Marriage Registration Certificate without any hassles.
*Any fee, stamp duty and miscellaneous charges shall be payable extra.
Do contact us in case of any query related Marriage Registration and much more.
To avail any of the above-stated services, kindly establish contact by posting a query at our site.
What Are The Benefits Of A Marriage Certificate?
Before 2006, marriage registration under mentioned laws was optional. Hon’ble Supreme Court in order to secure and protect the legal rights of a woman makes marriage registration as compulsory. Major benefits of registration are as mentioned below:
- It is required when applying for a passport and visas
- It is required for loan disbursing procedure.
- It is required for insurance purposes, health benefits and other bank related benefits.
- It is required for changing first name or last name on record.
Documents Required To Apply For A Marriage Registration Certificate
Basic documents required for making an application for Marriage Registration Certificate are:
- Memorandum of marriage in the Form provided
- Age Proof of both the husband and the wife
- Proof of residence
- An affidavit stating place and date of marriage date of birth, nationality, and marital status at the time of marriage.
- Identity and Address proof of Witnesses
- Copy of Wedding card, if available
- An affidavit from the priest who performed the marriage
- Passport size photos of the husband and the wife, wedding photograph if available
- Divorce Decree or Death Certificate of the spouse, if applicable.
Criterion For Issuance Of The Marriage Certificate
- Under The Hindu Marriage ActVerification of all the documents by the prescribed authority. The complete procedure form application to obtaining the certificate takes about 15 days.
- Under The Special Marriage ActThe parties should be present after submission of the required documents for the issuance of public notice inviting objections. The Certificate is issued after 30 days of the notice when no objections are received. If any objections received, they ought to be decided within 30 days and the registration certificate shall then be issued. Thus, obtaining the Certificate takes about 45-60 days time.
Our other services and locations.